Saturday, May 23, 2009

Memorial Day Weekend

I love this weekend and not because it is a 3 day weekend but what it means to me.
Yes, this is the annual kickoff of the summer season but it is the time we need to remember what Memorial Day is all about.
To honor the servicemen and women that have paid the ultimate sacrifice for us to enjoy the freedoms we have is really special.
I have recently received photos of a boy scout unit that took part in placing flags on the graves of soldiers and it is a truly amazing site.
I have relatives that lost their lives in WWII and I often wonder what it would have been like to known them. I have only seen one photograph of them so it is really hard for me to know or place them in the stories my relatives told about them.
I also have a brother in law that served in Vietnam and to this day he won't talk about what he went through.
I will never understand what he went through other than he volunteered to serve his country in a time of need and he did so without hesitation.
He is a hero to me as are the soldiers fighting for our country.
So when and if you fire up the grill please take time to remember those that went on before us and when you see a soldier please stop and thank them for their service to our country.
Happy Memorial Day and please be safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment