Sunday, November 14, 2010

November is More Than a Time for Thanksgiving

I love November.
This is the time of year that I thank God for all that I have, the service men and women serving their country, a new scouting year, the end of the hay fever season, and a time to give thanks for the family that I have that surround me.
November is also the time where scout leaders should be looking at their recharters and scrubbing the rosters and making plans to increase membership at the time of crossover in Jan/Feb.
Cub Scout Packs have succeeded in conducting Boy Talks and have had at least one open house.
Boy Scouts should be doing the same and there should be an open house long before the crossovers become due.
A successful scout troop will have an open door policy 24/7, 365 days of the year.
Why not invite cub scouts to participate in troop meetings?
 Let them present the Colors.
 Teach them about the boy scout program while they are there.
Why not have the boy scouts present the Colors at a Pack meeting?
This simple idea will not only help with recruiting but is also a great public relations tool to help put some excitement into the scouting program.
I am thankful for the opportunity to voice my opinions and concerns on this blog and on Scouting Radio.
I am thankful for my readers, who choose to follow these writings and thankful for the listeners of my show.
So here's to another scouting year, and make it the best year ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment