Sunday, November 14, 2010

Scouting Radio Offers Global Scouting News and Information

Back in 2007, I had the opportunity to visit scout units in Australia's Gold Coast and I became interested in scouitng on the international level as little is known about what goes on within the scouting world in other countries (the BSA doesn't necessarily report events on the goings on in other parts of the world save limited information on International Jamborees).
I began a personal quest, thanks to the Internet, to see what other scouting programs do with their scouts and I began with Australia, Canada, and the United Kingdom.
 While surfing the net, I discovered several chat sites that I visited and have met several scouting friends along the way.
 The most interesting site I found was Scouting Radio, which originates in Ireland, and had to listen into an Internet radio web site to hear what was happening within the scouting world.
Justin Dawson and Simon Lang, manage the station and they had one presenter, Robert Mc Teague, who talked about scouting in New Zealand and Australia.
The shows were interesting to listen to.
One day Justin and Simon mentioned that they were looking for additional presenters and reporters for the station and had interviewed the Honorable Michael Baden Powell and Colin Walker who have impressive credentials in scouting in their own rite.
Durning that episode, I thought that there wasn't any representation for the BSA and I inquired about helping supply information to the studio and soon became involved with a program of my own.
Thanks to scouting friends that helped with recording and show materials, I began to be pulled into the vortex of scout programming promotion and have been doing shows for the past 3 1/2 years.
I have had a lot of fun doing these shows and have interviewed several scouting friends on the show and I want to personally thank them as they helped me on my way to creating some shows that I feel have become part of a "best of" series:

Jerry Schleining and Shawn Cleary of PTC Media
Pat and Jana Laes from Voyageur District and My Favorite Quilt Shop respectively
Haydn McComas from Scouts Australia
Jessica Goulet and Jean Westergaard from Girl Scout Troop 4247
David Nelson Cub master and "Sammy Scout" from Pack 4002
Former Scoutmaster Wayne Gunville
Cub master Steven Sorenson and Voyageur District Round table Commissioner
Dr. Ole Jacobsen, African Jamboree 2012 Chairman
 Scouts from Waterinbury, England
Amber Westergaard, who has helped co-host some of my shows giving insight to the girl scout program
Chris Laes, Neil Walker, and the rest of the Staff from Camp Bear Paw.
I have been able to "cut my teeth" on doing shows that I never would have entertained doing without you all making the interview process easy.
I have managed to produce radio shows almost on a weekly basis and look forward to another 3 1/2 years in doing more shows.
So if you never got the chance to listen in, visit www.scoutingradio.com and hear what you have been missing.

No comments:

Post a Comment