Sunday, November 20, 2011

'Tis the season for scouting

With Thanksgiving just a few days away, I thought that it would be nice to continue a tradition that I hold near to my heart and share it early.
What am I most thankful for?
I am thankful for God, my health, my family and my friends- not necessarily in that order (other than God is first and foremost).
In watching this year's 28th Annual Holiday Parade in Green Bay, I viewed several scouting units march in the parade and I was thinking about how great my scouting experiences have been and the wonderful friends, who now are part of my family.
I am thankful for my parents allowing me the honor in joining Cub Scouts so many years ago, back when we a part of Tall Pine District and the uniforms we wore still had Green Bay, Wisconsin in red and white arches on our right shoulder.
Thanking my Mother for everything she did to help me with my den projects and going with me to some special activities that I now know that she wasn't interested in being a part of.
My life has been filled with wonderful scouting moments as my Grandfather was one of the first Scoutmasters of then Troop 2 although not the SM while I was in the troop.
I am thankful for all of the Scout-o-Ramas that I participated in and sold tickets for to win that highly coveted pocket flashlight  that sold for $2.00 back in the day.
Yes, I still have it ....somewhere.
I am thankful for receiving my Eagle Scout medal at Camp Bear Paw in front of my fellow Scouts during Christmas week in  July.
I am thankful that my son and daughter have taken the interest in the scouting program and now my wife has become a leader in Girl Scouts as well as within the Boy Scout program.
I am thankful that I was able to visit Scouts in Australia and have met several wonderful Scouting friends in 35 other countries.
I am thankful for the opportunity to write this blog, compose articles for "The Examiner," and do a radio show for Scouting Radio.
I am thankful that I was able work with the Honorable Michael Baden Powell in raising funds to help save and restore the Jam Roll and Eccles Caravan trailer (Scouts, do you homework and look up the Jam Roll and Eccles Caravan trailer for its significance in Scout history).
I am thankful for my Scoutmaster Mr. Stubbs, who had the fore-sight to beat into our heads the merits of not having food or candy in our tents while in camp- something I had to learn the hard way and is now one of the most requested stories that I must regale to young Scouts when they ask.
I remember one Christmas receiving my Hillary framed backpack (yes, I still use it), my first mess kit and my tin first aid kit that was worn on the hip.
I am thankful that I ran across my first scout belt with all of the belt loop awards I earned in Boy Scouts while at Troop 2 and fondly remember Charles Yeager help me earn my first belt loop: Citizenship.

This holiday season, why not give boys another reason to be thankful?
Give them a Scout application and uniform for Christmas and watch them grow with memories that will last a lifetime?
Better yet, why not pick up an adult application for yourself and see what memories you will make to be thankful for?

No comments:

Post a Comment